Tuesday 17 December 2013

Sex and Pregnancy



Believe it or not, I have had a few people ask me how does one logistically have sex while pregnant.  People don't seem to talk about it, so I figured what the hell?!

This is an accumulation of my readings, and my thoughts on what I have read, NOT what happens in my own bedroom.  I have to skirt around my personal experience as I don't think my husband will appreciate me sharing explicit details.  It's one thing when I talk of my own haemorrhoids, but I am sure he won't appreciate me talking on the interweb of what happens when we get down and dirty.   

For starters:  I can tell you that unless one is told not to have sex while pregnant due to a risk or concern, most pregnant women can safely have sex while pregnant.  One of the first things my family doctor told me when I went to him to confirm I was pregnant was "you can have sex while pregnant, just don't be swinging off the chandelier".  This made me laugh as he is a sweet, kind, old, British gentleman whom I have know my whole life.  

Some pregnant women might lose their sex drive, some might find a super increased sex drive.  Hormones!  No one can explain why or where you will fall. 

Your first trimester you may be way too sleepy and it could result in an "Observe and Report" Anna Faris scene where she is passed out and yelling "don't stop mutha fucka". Try it to see, could be comedy gold.  Your boobs have probably started expanding and they will inevitably hurt, so tread gently, sex may be a booby free act for a couple of months. 

Second trimester, if you are one of those who have an increased sex drive take advantage of your man as much as possible as your third trimester will come and you will at least FEEL like Shamu the whale.  If you have ginormous twins, you may very well LOOK like Shamu too.  This may make you feel self conscious, turn the lights out and enjoy, lol, why deprive yourself?  Plus your boobs have probably stopped hurting and you may be lucky to have a two to three cup increase.  Embrace it!

The bigger you get, the less adventurous you get to be.  Every pregnancy book gives you a list of positions that are "pregnancy safe".  (Safe as in comfortable and balance is considered)  Missionary is out, especially the bigger you get. Keep in mind, you will be super uncomfortable on your back as you may start to pass out.  I know this is big in S&M so if that's your thing then cool, if not, pick a different position.  Balance becomes a huge issue in your second and especially third trimester, so something else to consider.  It's often recommended doggy style, I am always surprised by this as joints can be swollen and sore and you may find there is a big balance issue, but to each their own.  You may be limited  to some side by side position or to girl on top while on the floor or in a bed.  You don't want to be the pregnant couple that ends up in the emergency room with a concussion from a unbalanced sex act.  (They will laugh ath you behind your back ). Sex in a car is going to be severely limited, unless you tackle it in the box of a pick up truck, this will be weather permitting of course.  

We were recommended and I bought my husband this hysterical book for men called "The Dudes' Guide to Pregnancy". It's actually full of facts but delivered in a hysterical "dude" way.  They liken sex with a pregnant woman as "a monkey humping a football, if that football has arms and legs".   I laughed until I thought I would pee myself.  Lol.  

Have you seen a very pregnant woman try to hug someone?  The pregger has to lean forward and sorta down, sticking her butt out the back to get her arms around the person she is trying to hug.   Sex will become very limited in how close you can physically get to your partner.  If you can't carry the laundry basket, you won't be able to get in for a very intimate position.  You may feel you have to wave and yell "hello!" to your partner.  

Oh and if your partner is worried about hitting his unborn child in the head, you have the attractively named "mucus plug" that acts as a barrier, the baby won't see a penis head coming at them.  The kid won't be like "WTF is that?!!?!"  It won't hurt the kid if you have sex either. Some babies can get more active after their mom has an orgasim or they can get sleepy and relaxed. If it gets weird thinking your kid is in the room, turn the light out so neither one of you see the belly.  

Rumour has it you can induce labour in your final weeks of pregnancy, so you may want to verify with your health care provider towards the end to see if you can continue to have sex.  

I hope that answers a few questions.  Lol.  


No comments:

Post a Comment